This is the webpage for a class from the PAST that
has ALREADY ENDED. Current class information is available here
LATEST CHANGES TO SITE
- 12/12/07: Posted link to new webpage where I will post review Q&A. Also, posted seven MS Word versions of mind maps (in the Mind Maps section). Also, posted the exam and grading rubric from last semester's Copyright final.
- 11/30/07: Posted information about the two review sessions.
- 11/18/07: Posted supplemental reading for Wednesday, November 28 and Monday, December 3.
- 11/9/07: Posted additional handout for Wednesday, November 14.
- 11/7/07: Changes made to reading for Wednesday, November 14.
- 11/6/07: Posted supplemental reading for Mon, 11/12 assignment.
- 9/12/07: IMPORTANT: Some students have been using old versions of the syllabus. Please be sure you have the latest version. (Details below.)
- 9/12/07: For Monday, September 17, read the three patent excerpts included in Supplemental Reading, below.
- 9/10/07: Posted supplemental reading for Mon 9/24 assignment.
Course syllabus in pdf format. (Does not reflect changes made below.)
I have created a page where I will post questions and answers during
the review period. Please visit it frequently.
Two review sessions are planned:
Changes to Syllabus
- On Wednesday, December 5th, during our usual class time, I will spend the hour answering student questions about anything we have covered in the course. Please send me your questions in advance!
- On Saturday, December 15th, at 10:00 AM, in Room 301, I will be reviewing the exam from Fall 2006. The exam and solution are linked below, under "Other Class Materials." To make the most of the review session, I recommend you look at the exam from Fall 2006 only after a bit of preparation and, ideally, in a simulated test situation. The review session may last more than an hour.
Please take note of the following changes to the syllabus:
- For Class 23, Wednesday, November 14, 2007, please do not read
pages 721-36. Instead, please read the scanned pages found here. These pages are
from a more-recent version of our casebook. The full assignment is
now: 736-740, Handout pages 737-754.
- IMPORTANT: Please be sure that the syllabus you are using is
labeled "Final Version 1.0" at the top of the first page. Prior to
the semester, I had linked to an older version that is no longer
- On a related note, if you were using an out-of-date syllabus, you
did not know to read State Street Bank v. Signature Trust
(1047-56) for class on Wednesday, September 12. Please be sure to
read that case for class on Monday, September 17 (along with the
originally assigned reading: pages 164-84.)
- For Class 26, Monday, December 3, read the opinion in Douglas v. Talk America.
- For Class 25, Wednesday, November 28, read the opinion in Mercexchange v. eBay.
- For Class 23, Wednesday, November 14, read the 18 scanned pages
from a later version of our casebook available above, along with pages
- For Class 22, Monday, November 12, read the Memorandum-Decision and Order [pdf] in Rescuecom Corp. v. Google (Sept. 28, 2006)
- For Class 8, Monday, September 24, read the abridged Supreme Court opinion in KSR v. Teleflex. It will help to look at the drawings from the patent-in-issue.
- For Class 6, Monday, September 17, read these excerpts from three patents.
Class Mind Maps
Other Class Materials
Here are other materials used in class or handed out:
Past Final Exams
Class One, August 27: Nixon Peabody's "theme song" and some background on
- Fall 2006
- Spring 2006
- Copyright - Spring 2007
- This exam is from the dedicated Copyright course. Keep in mind some important caveats while reviewing this: First, the Copyright course goes much more deeply into Copyright and spends much more time reviewing individual statutory provisions. Second, this was a very difficult exam, so don't lose heart by the amount of material presented.
- Final exam from Spring 2007.
- Grading rubric from Spring 2007.