This is the webpage for a class from the PAST that
has ALREADY ENDED. Current class information is available here
LATEST CHANGES TO SITE
- 12/4/06: Posted five other exam questions (and the answers to two) that are similar in style and scope to Professor Ohm's approach to exam writing.
- 12/1/06: During the review period, student questions and answers will be posted to the course TWEN site.
- 11/27/06: Changed reading assignment for Mon 12/4/06 assignment.
- 11/24/06: Posted Supplemental Reading for Wed 11/29/06 assignment.
- 11/14/06: Posted last year's final exam questions.
- 11/9/06: Posted Supplemental Reading for Wed 11/15/06 assignment.
- 10/04/06: Changed reading assignment for BOTH 10/9/06 and 10/11/06 assignments.
- 9/29/06: Changed reading assignment for Mon 10/9/06 assignment.
- 9/13/06: Changed reading assignment for Wed 9/27/06 assignment.
- 9/12/06: Posted Supplemental Reading for Wed 9/20/06 assignment.
Course syllabus in pdf and Word formats. (Does not reflect changes made below.)
Changes to Syllabus
Please take note of the following changes to the syllabus:
For Monday, December 4, 2006, do not read the INS v. AP opinion. The new (much shorter) assignment is: Contract (848-64).
[Posted 10/4/06] I have significantly modified the next two reading assignments--for Monday, 10/9 and Wednesday, 10/11--to allow us to catch up. For these two dates, please disregard the assignments in the syllabus and that have appeared previously on this website. The new assignments are:
For Wednesday, September 27, 2006, in addition to the reading listed in the syllabus, skim pages 159-164 ("Procedures for Obtaining a Patent")
The new assignment is:
- Monday, 10/9/06: Review ENTIRE assignment from Wednesday, October 4th, and read Memorandum-Decision and Order [pdf] in Rescuecom Corp. v. Google (Sept. 28, 2006)
- Wednesday, 10/11/06: AMF Inc. v. Sleekcraft Boats (709-16); Problems 5-7 and 5-8 (721); Dilution (721-35).
- Wednesday, 9/27/06: Procedures for Obtaining a Patent (skim 159-164) and Doctrine of Equivalents: Basic Issues and Prosecution History Estoppel (263-80)
Wednesday, 11/29/06: As specified in the syllabus, in addition to the pages assigned in the casebook, please read the following Supreme Court Opinion from last term:
Wednesday, 11/15/06: In addition to pages 593-98 (skip notes) of the casebook, read the following:
- MercExchange v. eBay, 126 S. Ct. 1837 (May 15, 2006) [pdf]
Wednesday, 9/20/06: (Required Reading)
- KSR v. Teleflex, Federal Circuit Opinion [word] [pdf]
- KSR v. Teleflex, Patent at Issue (Image Pages Only) [pdf]
- KSR v. Teleflex, Three Amici Briefs to Supreme Court [word] [pdf]
- (Optional) Warning: The Onion article linked here is full of off-colored language and profanities, so don't click if this will offend you. For some fun, nonobviousness-related reading compare this news story with this Onion article. The Onion article predated the real news by a year-and-a-half.
Class Mind Maps
Here are PDF versions of the Mind Maps developed in class:
Class Twenty-Six: December 4
Class Twenty-Five: November 29
Class Twenty-Four: November 27
Class Twenty-Three: November 15
Class Twenty-Two: November 13
Class Twenty-One: November 8
Class Twenty: November 6
Class Nineteen: November 1
Class Eighteen: October 30
Class Seventeen: October 25
Class Sixteen: October 23
Class Fifteen: October 18
Class Fourteen: October 16
Class Thirteen: October 11
Class Twelve: October 9
Class Eleven: October 4
Also Class Eleven: Boulder Restaurant Trademark Distinctiveness Game
Class Ten: October 2
Class Nine: September 27
Also Class Nine: Simpler Chart of Doctrine of Equivalents/Prosecution History Estoppel
Class Eight: September 25
Class Seven: September 20
Class Six: September 18
Class Five: September 13
Class Four: September 11
Class Three: September 6
Class Two: August 30
Also Class Two:Map of "Justification Game"
Class One: August 28
Other Class Materials
Here are other materials used in class or handed out:
*** Last year's final exam ***
Exams not authored by Professor Ohm but similar in style and scope to his exams:
Class Eighteen, October 30: Columbia Law Schools archive of copyright cases (including sound clips to many songs) involving music.
- Five model exam questions.
- Professor Ohm's model answers for the first two questions (note that we did not discuss "trademark use" last year, which might have figured into Question 1 but is not mentioned in this model answer).
Class Seven, September 20: A blogger has rewritten the entire Patent Act in verse
Class Two: August 30: Powerpoint on Economics of IP (by Prof. Larry Solum)
December 4, 2006: Viral Videos:
November 27, 2006: BofA's "One":
November 13, 2006: Peer-to-Peer Monday:
November 6, 2006: Mash-up Monday:
October 30, 2006: Ten Things I Hate About Commandments
Also October 30, 2006: Shining
October 23, 2006: Spamland
Also October 23, 2006: Aleksey Vayner as explained in Sunday's NY Times
October 16, 2006: Dove's "Campaign for Real Beauty" video of a model's transformation.
October 9, 2006: Microsoft redesigns the iPod trade dress.
October 2, 2006: Driving through the streets of Paris. Wikipedia explanation. Map of route driven.
September 25, 2006: Elmo TMX
Also September 11, 2006: Fun little Line Rider game and Excellent "helicopter escape" example.
September 18, 2006: Stop motion space invaders
Also September 18, 2006: Super Mario Bros. performed live at Gordon College talent show
September 11, 2006: 1000 Cars racing at once in Trackmania sunrise
Also September 11, 2006: Man photographs himself every day for six years
August 30, 2006: OK GO Dance routine on treadmills
August 28, 2006: Canon Rock performed by funtwo. as explained in this NY Times article.